The Hawaii State Department of Health Medical Marijuana Registry Program posted the latest patient demographics in its third-quarter statistics for 2017. The Hawai‘i Dispensary Alliance has analyzed the numbers so you do not have to. Here’s what is important for you to know in today’s numbers.
- At the end of September 2017, 19,190 patients are registered with the program, as well as 1,418 caregivers. That’s an increase of 1,599 new patients and 102 caregivers since June.
- O‘ahu made the biggest jump in patient numbers over the quarter compared to the other counties, adding 1,063 patients and 91 caregivers. Unfortunately, Kaua‘i did not add any new registered patients and only one caregiver.
- There are now 116 physicians and 14 APRNs actively certifying patients, 12 more total than last quarter.
- Approximately one-quarter of the registered patients are reporting more than one qualifying condition. There are a total of 24,732 qualifying conditions reported, with 16,701 patients reporting severe pain (65.55% of the conditions reported), 3,412 reporting persistent muscle spasms, 1,826 reporting PTSD, and 1,230 reporting severe nausea.
- There was a slight decrease in the percentage of registered patients from ages 18 to 35 compared and a slight increase in registered patients from ages 36 to 65. Registered patients ages 36 to 45 made the biggest gain, a 1.03% increase since June.
As more dispensaries get ever closer to opening their doors, make sure you have seen a certifying physician and have a 329 card. HDA member clinics Malie Cannabis Clinic, Honolulu Wellness Center and Green Wave Medical are available to assist patients on O‘ahu, and Dr. Norman Goody on the Big Island.
It is the Alliance’s mission to provide up-to-date and relevant industry information to the patients, dispensary applicants, and related businesses of Hawai‘i’s growing medicinal cannabis industry. If you are not yet an Alliance member, join today to take an active role in the future of Hawai‘i’s medical marijuana industry and receive the HDA Cannabis Insider: Hawai‘i’s Cannabis Industry Journal bimonthly. Contact us today and we will send you the Winter 2017 edition of the Cannabis Insider absolutely free, just to say thank you for your interest!